Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Two years ago from today was a bright sunny Saturday. I spent the morning working at Express in Belden Village Mall. My last day working at any Express at any mall, I hope.

After clocking out, I returned to my townhouse apartment where most members of our families and a few friends were assembled and loading two big pickup trucks and a few cars with everything we could fit. Not everything was put in as carefully as I would have liked, but almost everything made the trip to Wooster in one piece. The last things to be loaded in to my almost packed Jetta were two wailing kitty cats.

Upon arriving in Wooster, the kitty cats went into and were closed into the upstairs bathroom, and everything else was carried back to the media room. As it turns out, the newly refinished hardwood floors were still not dry, along with the living room walls' paint.

We began unpacking and putting things into the places that they would belong for hopefully the next twenty years, at least!

Since then, some things have changed both in the house and in our lives. New friends have arrived and some friends have drifted away. Old friends come to stay for days at a time, and they are always welcome, and sometimes I wish they would never leave. I started a job I loved at the library and left it for a job I love even more, which I wasn't sure was possible.

Homeownership is exactly what I have hoped it would be. This grand old house is exactly what I wanted. I love making changes and improvements on something that is mine to keep. I love dreaming about what we will someday change and remodel, and the things that I love just the way they are. Sometime around last spring I also learned that my decorating personality can also carry outside in the form of flower gardening, which I definitely didn't foresee happening. I know that Tony could do with a little less bat drama and a little less yardwork, but those are just some things that make our house special and unlike anyone else's house.

So happy HOUSIVERSARY. (I know it's not a word, but like I tell my students, "English teachers are allowed to make up their own words!) Come stop in to our little bit of joy on earth. Just call first, we always need to clean.

1 comment:

Anna said...

Oh my gosh...ok, this is going to sound weird, but my husband and I actually took a tour of this particular house when we were shopping around a few years ago! It wasn't the right fit for us, but I am glad too see that it went to someone who loves and cares for it as much as you do.

Also...uhm hi. I just happened to stumble upon your blog.